Sensory Integration Impact
What are some indicators my child has difficulty with sensory integration?
• A child demonstrating difficulties processing tactile information may demonstrate some of the following:
• Aversions to light touch
• Dislikes self-care activities (dressing, eating, bathing, grooming)
• Dislikes going bare foot or crawling outside across a variety of textures (grass, sand, dirt, etc.)
• Touchy child
• Avoids messy play
• A child demonstrating difficulties processing vestibular information may demonstrate some of the following actions:
• Dislikes diaper changes
• Dislikes washing hair
• Avoids gross motor play and environmental exploration
• Distressed by rough play
• Likes to spin or swing
• A child demonstrating difficulties with processing proprioceptive information may demonstrate the following actions:
• Frequent stopping
• Pushing objects or people
• Likes to crash and jump
• Frequently moves quickly
• A child demonstrating difficulties with processing auditory information may demonstrate some of the following:
• Hands over their ears
• Frequent yelling
• Frequently distressed by loud noises
• Dislikes music
A child’s ability to learn and develop new skills is also impacted by sensory integration. For example, regulating emotions and levels of arousal, learning to interact with their environment, play and social skills, routines, and finding personal balance all require sensory integration.
Using a sensory integrative approach provides your child with the just-right challenge. Your therapist will work within the child’s current abilities and provide them with the experience and knowledge necessary to produce adaptive responses and increase the generalization of skills across contexts.
By Dr. Baily Z, OTD, OTR/L
Eyas Landing is a therapy clinic with a mission to provide evidence-based and family-centered therapy services for children, adolescents, and their families. The primary goal is to deliver relationship-based interventions within the most natural environments and to empower families to reach their full potential. To achieve this goal, our highly educated, compassionate staff dedicates time and expertise to create experiences that maximize therapeutic outcomes. The strength, determination, and perseverance of our clients are evident as they succeed in therapy, and ultimately in their daily lives.
Eyas Landing offers a wide range of comprehensive services including Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, ABA Therapy, Social Work, Family Therapy, and Neuropsych testing. Services are provided throughout the Chicagoland area via Telehealth, In-Home, and in our state of the art clinic.
Want to learn more or you have a specific question? Feel free to connect with us here!