Back to School
Winter break is coming to a close and it’s almost time for your child to go back to school! Here are a few tips to help your child smoothly transition back into the school year.
1. Create a schedule with your child. This can be a written schedule, visual schedule, or both. This will allow your child to have a better understanding of what is happening next and may reduce any anxiety or fear he or she may have. Structured and consistent schedules are very important. Aim to have a consistent mealtime, story time, and bedtime each night.
2. Incorporate visual timers. Visual timers may aid with motivating your child to complete time-driven tasks. You can incorporate a timer when your child is getting ready for school, during homework and free time.
3. Use first/then visuals or language. First/then language and/or visuals are a great way to motivate your child and will help them understand what will happen next. For example, first homework then play time is something you can incorporate during your child’s after school routine.
4. Social stories or shared book reading. This is a great way to target any tension or conflicts your child may be experiencing. You can select books or create a social story to help your child problem solve or be able to relate to a character in a book. For example, if your child is having a hard time making friends, select a book that focuses on building friendships.
5. Remember, how you speak to your child reflects how they internalize and view themselves. Continuous encouragement and kind words goes along way!
Eyas Landing is a therapy clinic with a mission to provide evidence-based and family-centered therapy services for children, adolescents, and their families. The primary goal is to deliver relationship-based interventions within the most natural environments and to empower families to reach their full potential. To achieve this goal, our highly educated, compassionate staff dedicates time and expertise to create experiences that maximize therapeutic outcomes. The strength, determination, and perseverance of our clients are evident as they succeed in therapy, and ultimately in their daily lives.
Eyas Landing offers a wide range of comprehensive services including Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, ABA Therapy, Social Work, Family Therapy, and Neuropsych testing. Services are provided throughout the Chicagoland area via Telehealth, In-Home, and in our state of the art clinic.
Want to learn more or you have a specific question? Feel free to connect with us here!