10 Benefits of Routines for Your Family
10 Benefits of Routines:
- Improve efficiency and daily functioning – watch daily tasks become less of a struggle as your child learns how to follow a specific, unchanging routine.
- Eliminate power struggles – your child will feel less bossed around when necessary activities are just what we do at that time of day, instead of coming as a surprise.
- Let your child feel in charge of their own activities – children tend to rebel less if they feel more independent.
- Reduce stress and anxiety for fear of the unknown or for sudden changes.
- Connect to your child – create little routines that are just for the two of you. Your child will feel safe and rewarded.
- Teach self-care/self-control – your child will learn to wait for (and look forward to) the things they want when necessary activities have a positive result later (put off instant gratification).
- Guide positive behavior and safety – rewarding positive, safe behavior often leads to more positive, safe behavior.
- Build necessary skills (such as social skills at dinner) – talking, taking turns, sharing toys, learning to wait, and helping others during daily tasks.
- Routines are satisfying for parents, too – parenting is stressful. If there is less fighting and pushback with your child when they know what to expect, you will both have a calmer day.
- If your child takes daily medication, you both will have an easier time remembering it if it is part of a routine.
There are many reasons to implement routines into your child’s life and the results are usually very positive. Don’t give up if your family doesn’t take to a particular routine right away; routines take time to become routine! And since every situation is different, don’t be afraid to alter your routines a little if they really are not working out for your child.
Eyas Landing is a therapy clinic with a mission to provide evidence-based and family-centered therapy services for children, adolescents, and their families. The primary goal is to deliver relationship-based interventions within the most natural environments and to empower families to reach their full potential. To achieve this goal, our highly educated, compassionate staff dedicates time and expertise to create experiences that maximize therapeutic outcomes. The strength, determination, and perseverance of our clients are evident as they succeed in therapy, and ultimately in their daily lives.
Eyas Landing offers a wide range of comprehensive services including Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, ABA Therapy, Social Work, Family Therapy, and Neuropsych testing. Services are provided throughout the Chicagoland area via Telehealth, In-Home, and in our state of the art clinic.
Want to learn more or you have a specific question? Feel free to connect with us here!