What is GAPS?
GAPS is a condition that establishes a connection between the digestive system and the brain. You have good bacteria (beneficial flora) and bad bacteria (opportunistic flora) in your intestinal lining. In a healthy gut, the opportunistic bacteria are limited and tightly controlled by the beneficial flora. When the beneficial flora is weakened and damaged, the opportunistic bacteria become out of control and they produce toxins.
Our gut lining is designed to stop invaders from entering our bloodstream. Without beneficial bacteria and proper balance in the gut, opportunistic bacteria erode away at the physical barrier wall and cause “leaky gut.” Once there is an opening in the gut lining, it allows hundreds of different pathogens into the bloodstream.
Toxins produced by the pathogens in the gut are absorbed and distributed around the body, causing GAP symptoms. These symptoms lead to Gut and Psychology Syndrome in children with ADHD, Autism, Learning and/or Behavioral Problems, Epilepsy, Dyslexia, and Dyspraxia. I am limiting the list of disease entities to those of children, but this protocol is used for all ages.
There are 3 parts of the Gaps Nutritional Protocol:
- GAPS Diet – The most important.
- Supplements – Keep to a minimum. The diet is the main treatment.
- Detoxification and life style changes.
The GAPS Diet.
The object of the diet is to “heal and seal” the gut lining.
- All grains
- Starchy vegetables
- Milk sugar, lactose
- Starchy beans, including soy
- All processed foods
- All food additives
- All cooked meats, fresh or frozen – grass fed beef, pastured chickens, pork, lamb
- All fish – wild caught
- Organ meat from grass fed beef or pastured chicken, pork, lamb
- Good quality eggs from pastured chickens
- All ripe fruit, including dried – organic
- Nut and seeds
- Fermented dairy and vegetables
- Raw cold pressed honey
The GAPS Diet has different parts. The Introductive Diet- that consists of 6-steps and a Full Gaps Diet. Fore more information, see the book GAPS – Gut and Psychology Syndrome or schedule a consultation with a Certified Gaps Consultant.
Supplements should be kept to a minimum. The ones that are recommended by Dr. N. Campbell-McBride are Probiotics, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids, and Digestive Enzymes.
Detoxification and Life Style Changes
- Juicing – removes toxic substances
- Baths with Epson salt, sea salt, seaweed, and bicarbonate of soda
- Sunbathing is essential – once you start, increase exposure slowly to build up a natural protection
- Stop using skin care products that have chemicals in them. Everything you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body. If you can’t eat it, don’t put it on your skin!
To find out more, book a GAPS Nutritional consult through Eyas Landing with Lynn Mraz – certified GAPS consultant – by calling 312-733-0883.