TaMia L. W, M.S.W., M.A. of Ed
Director of Merlin Day Academy
Eyas Landing Employee Since 2021
Credentials and Certifications
- Director of Special Education Endorsement
- General Administrative (Type 75)
- School Social Worker (Type 73)
Master of Arts in Education – School Improvement Leadership,
Olivet Nazarene University
Master of Social Work – Schools Concentration,
University of Illinois at Chicago
Bachelors of Social Work,
Illinois State University
My Eyas Landing
Working collaboratively to support children with achieving their goals is the epitome of what influences my experience with Eyas Landing. The integrative and whole-child/family-centered approach is what really energizes and motivates the continued success we see in children.
- Special Education Policy and Practice (IDEA AND Section 504)
- Social emotional learning skills
- Executive functioning skills
- School-based therapeutic services
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (primarily when addressing self-management / anger management with children)
- Evidence-based Behavioral Interventions (i.e., Anger Coping, Think First, SPARCS, Bounce Back, Second Step, Check-In/Check-Out)
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (primarily used with children in upper grade levels to increase motivation and work completion)
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (Pre-K to 8th Grade)
- Leadership and Management
- Identify and implement innovative and collaborative approaches to promoting more advanced instructional, functional, and practical best practices to how we educate and support students with disabilities.
- Obtain my PhD in Special Education.
- Develop a a practice workbook for school social workers who are one to three years into the profession.
I’ve always had a tenacious commitment for children, [social] service, stewardship, advocacy, academic excellence, and practically any endeavor where children and adolescents are inspired to pursue their purpose and positive learning environments – no matter their ability. I have been blessed to work with many students across grade levels, races and ethnicities, and socio-economic statuses. I have worked diligently to complete their evaluations for special education services, develop goals and objectives to help them access the general education curriculum, provide academic interventions through Response to Intervention then both academic and behavioral interventions through the Multi-Tiered Systems of Support framework, and even support school leaders in developing best practice guidelines and checklists to ensure high quality and equitable student outcomes.
Within the 12 years I have served and done this work as a school-based therapist and leader, I have been influenced by the results, both good and bad, and am driven to be more influential in research and education akin to special education. Special education is a complex and very involved process, especially through the lens of legislation (what the law explicitly states) and litigation (how the law is interpreted). I understand it can be challenging at times to understand those complexities, but I also strongly believe the aforementioned is what propelled this enthusiasm and excitement I embrace about the future of special education and where I see myself in it. At the very core of my being, is this ambition to see students who are considered exceptional learners receive a rigorous education that affords them the same opportunities as their non-disabled peers.
Eyas Landing is a therapy clinic with a mission to provide evidence-based and family-centered therapy services for children, adolescents, and their families. The primary goal is to deliver relationship-based interventions within the most natural environments and to empower families to reach their full potential. To achieve this goal, our highly educated, compassionate staff dedicates time and expertise to create experiences that maximize therapeutic outcomes. The strength, determination, and perseverance of our clients are evident as they succeed in therapy, and ultimately in their daily lives.
Eyas Landing offers a wide range of comprehensive services including Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, ABA Therapy, Social Work, Family Therapy, and Neuropsych testing. Services are provided throughout the Chicagoland area via Telehealth, In-Home, and in our state of the art clinic.